I’m at a complete reduction for text after viewing Joe Wieskamp knock down one of the most inconceivable pictures I’ve ever noticed to raise the #21/17 Iowa Hawkeyes (20-5, 9-5) in excess of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (12-13, 4-10), 71-69.
Maybe it’s best to rewind this one to 5:28 remaining in the 2nd fifty percent, when a Joe Wieskamp layup was the 2nd to final subject objective Iowa made to consider the lead at 61-59. From there, Iowa could only muster seven no cost throws on 8 attempts. When Jordan Bohannon split his last pair to give Iowa a 68-66 lead with 26 seconds remaining, it felt like anything weird was about to materialize.
And it did. Six days after Iowa strike a 3 to leapfrog Northwestern, Geo Baker strike a contested 3 on a gut-wrenching bounce with 3 seconds remaining. Fran dialed up a enjoy after a timeout and, nicely…
It was low important executed how it was drawn up. With Jordan Bohannon garnering a double-crew, it gave Connor McCaffery no cost reign to get his baseball period underway. Nicholas Baer deflects it cleanly and even though it didn’t go to Isaiah Moss like it appeared to be supposed, Wieskamp caught it on the bounce, saved both ft in bounds, and strike a bank shot corner 3 for the gain.
Like so quite a few of Iowa’s wins this period, it’s one that will not materialize final year. Iowa bought it started off very slowly but surely and gave up 5 swift details. The yielded seven turnovers in the initially 8 minutes but Rutgers was by no means capable to create a lead of far more than six at the rear of unforeseen taking pictures from Ron Harper, Jr. (4/5 from 3 for 14 initially fifty percent details).
Fortunately Isaiah Moss arrived to enjoy as he had 12 in the initially fifty percent to keep a Iowa afloat in a murky offense. Baer traded 3 pointers with Harper in the initially fifty percent, which also gave the Hawks a much necessary boost, offensively.
They concluded the fifty percent 13/30 from the subject and just 3/12 from deep. Yet it felt like if Iowa was capable to thoroughly clean their offense up from the 10 turnovers they had, there’d be a opportunity to set some length between them and Rutgers in the 2nd fifty percent.
Rutgers led throughout much of the initially 8 minutes in the fifty percent as a result of sheer force of will. They clawed on each individual possession as a result of a push Iowa employed. Yet the tide seemed to turn after Jordan Bohannon scored two baskets in just 20 2nd on a jumper in the lane and then a contested layup off a steal. The momentum was on the Hawkeyes aspect even though they were tied 49-49.
But they could by no means pull absent. The game turned borderline unwatchable as the refs incessantly reviewed fairly uncomplicated calls and the Rutgers defense amped up to West Virginia stages of hand-checking.
Yet Iowa identified a way to get the lead as a result of gritty defense and, yeah, people no cost throws stated previously mentioned. During the span when Iowa went 7/8, Rutgers went a paltry 3/6 to let Iowa to have the final-minute lead in advance of the Baker 3.
And then, nicely:
As the Hawkeyes go on to “Just gain, toddler!” there will normally stay issues. Isaiah Moss (who concluded with 17 details) was mainly off the ground as Iowa seemed to force feed Bohannon off the ball. The defense took awhile to consider keep. The rebounding felt like it was a missing result in at periods.
But, Iowa bought as a result of a game barely resembling basketball at a relatively raucous ecosystem, with Joe Wieskamp keeping up the collective coronary heart of the RAC “Temple of Doom” fashion.
When performs like these are made and pictures like these go in, you just have to surprise if probably, just probably, this crew is established up for anything far more.
- Tyler Cook dinner once all over again had a quietly wonderful ground game. Soon after an early turnover in changeover, he actually settled in and performed a thoroughly clean game of 12 details (4/5 on no cost throws!), 4 assists, and seven boards. He was lively in the zone and added a block (Iowa had 5!) and steal.
- Iowa only had 5 turnovers after the break but at the low speed (65 belongings for every KenPom), the 15 accounted for 23.1% of their belongings. There was really very little margin for mistake in this one and between the turnovers and rebounding – sneaky close even though it didn’t experience that way – the Hawks just scraped by.
- It was a tough day for Iowa’s bench as only two McCaffery no cost throws were added to Baer’s threes for 8 details off the bench.
- Luka Garza wasn’t stated but he performed a kinda tranquil 31 minutes to match up with the Rutgers frontline. He had 7 details on 10 pictures but his rim security seemed like a move up from past game titles. I picture portion of it was the refs contacting a very little little bit of a looser game.
- I’ll confess a really compact portion of me feels for Rutgers, specially Geo Baker. He performed an amazing 35 minutes, primarily on the defensive close with 5 steals, six assists, 13 details, and of course one of the greater pictures of his lifetime. Thankfully for us, it was erased.
Iowa’s following game is at property towards Maryland on Tuesday, February 19th.